The Story of Corte d'Aibo

The rural nucleus is situated on the western slopes of Monte Morello, a hill that rises from the plain between Bazzano and Monteveglio within the Regional park of Monteveglio Abbey.
At the centre stands the oldest stone building which has an irregular layout and also the remains of a medieval tower and other parts dating back to various ages. The toponym appears for the first time in twelfth century documents as “Aibo” a term linked to the presence of water; in fact, in the latin of Emilia “aibus” means watering place.

The locality was frequented in ancient times as evidenced by the discovery of some Etruscan tombs in the 1920’s. In the Middle Ages a fortress was built on the hills to defend Monteveglio which later fell under the Emporer’s siege. This siege ended in 1092 when Countess Matilda overthrew the Emporer. As evidence that the settlement of D’Aibo was inhabited in the Middle Ages, in 1170, amongst the signatories of the alliance treaty between Monteveglio and Frignano, there is the name of a local man, Giovanni de Aibo . In 1296 Guido de Aibo was noted as being one of the noblemen of Monteveglio.

In the early 16th century the canons of the Monteveglio Monastery bought different plots of land in this area called “Pian Daibo”, “Adaibo”, “Pra Daibo” and “Fontana da Daibo” and also a tower and a tenement with an oven. The purchase of land in the area “to the vineyards of Daibo“ is also mentioned which underlines the ancient vine growing vocation of this area. In the 18th century Boncompagni Land Registry, the Daibo estate was still owned by the canons of Monteveglio Abbey. The land was mainly cultivated as arable land, trees and vines but there were also coppices and woods of high oak trees for pigs bred in the wild. Uncultivated badlands were used for grazing sheep and goats.